Sunday, June 24, 2012

Galveston in 48 hours

We did a there-one-day and back-the-next trip to Galveston.  I don't know if I recommend it.  I would do it again, but I really need to figure out how to do the beach with my kids.  My main problem is that we don't beach it up that often, so I spent way too many of our precious 48 hours in hyper-awareness mode.  Gotta figure out how to change that....

What I loved:
4.5 hours of (almost) uninterrupted convo with two amazing ladies I love to talk with
Chick-fil-A on the road
beholding the Elissa, a wooden ship built in 1877
the hotel directly across from the beach
the waves
the sand
watching my mom laugh with my kids as they are toppled into the tide
rolling in the sand with my kids
watching my above mentioned friends boogie boarding with my kids in the ocean
fried seafood at the "locals" restaurant
the wide-eyed wonder of the little ones in a bonafide candy & ice cream shop
mom's wide-eyed wonder buying said treats in the candy & ice cream shop
being with my super-stamina mom
a bonafide espresso beverage from the local coffee shop
another 4.5 hours of (almost) uninterrupted convo with two amazing ladies I still love to talk with even after 48 hours in Galveston

What I did not love:
kids tugging on and whining at me while I tried to behold The Elissa
the seaweed
the BROWN waves
the sandy poo diapers
the stress of having four kids and only two arms in the seemingly hungry sea
not being able to take pictures on the beach for the same reason
the drama of dragging them away from the beach
loud tenants on every side of our hotel room
puking child at 5a.m.
missing beach time so sick child could rest
early check-out times
not enough hours in Galveston

If you have any tips on how to make ocean experiences less stressful, I'd love to hear them!  But all in all, I would do it again in a heart beat.  My kids will probably not remember one thing of the "didn't love" list anyway.

My friends Han Stoney and Stephanie Press happen to be snap-happy brilliant photographers so I have borrowed generously from their collections

Stephanie and Hannah checking out the sleep quarters


Hannah and Quinn ascending from the Captain's Quarters

by Stephanie Press
Doesn't it make you want to say "Arrrrrgh!"


By Stephanie Press
By Hannah Stoney

By Stephanie Press

By Hannah Stoney

By Stephanie Press

By Stephanie Press


By Hannah Stoney




By Stephanie Press

Look at that radiant woman!  Love her!!

By Hannah Stoney





2 comments:

Shayla said...

The one with the ferris wheel! If you don't frame it, I will. I also grew up with the brown waves of Galveston, fishy smell, floating tar. We still had a blast.

I haven't tried the beach with my monsters yet, but I wouldn't attempt it without daddy back-up, you brave woman!

Han Stoney said...

Ah Galveston, it was great fun in a romping kind of way! The beach was much more wrestling match and much less blissed out wave watching than I'd expected but they're both good medicine. My kids just loved it and came home lovely and exhausted.

Road trip quality time is wonderful. That was one of my favourite parts too.